It's really to bad
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2080) 7 years ago
So my friend and I were out riding our fourwheelers yesterday and came down to the yellowstone bridge and what do we find there, a big bodied whitetail buck with half of it's head missing (where they had cut off the horns). Just makes me sick to think there are many people out there that could have used the meat but no they just through it under the bridge to rot. And people wonder why they have no where to hunt. Rant over
Posted by tjh (+139) 7 years ago
ya that's pretty sick that people do sh** like that and get away with it. Another thing I hate is all of the out of state hunters coming here and killin all of our deer, go back to your own state and kill what deer you have left and leave ours alone!!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 7 years ago
Those out-of-staters pump a lot of money into our economy. They also pay plenty to hunt here which I'm sure FWP doesn't mind. Like any other group of people, there are selfish, wasteful idiots among the hunters. Jerks such as the one you noted do not represent all hunters, out-of-state or otherwise.

Care to hear my rant about fourwheelers tearing up the ground and ruining a nice quiet day in the outdoors with their racket?
supporter
Bob I really don't care if you don't like wheelers tearing stuff up just like you stated above don't let one or two ruin it for all of us.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7534) 7 years ago
I'm getting a parse error from cubby's response...
Posted by tjh (+139) 7 years ago
I agree they do pay to come here and hunt and yes it does help the economy, but I'm sure most of them would still come here and hunt even if they had to pay 10 times more then what they are paying now.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+893) 7 years ago
Cubby...
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the deer wasn't shot and left to rot? Did you see a bullet hole? Was the deer gutted out? Since you said it was a whitetail, it makes me first think the deer had died earlier of blue tongue, and some horn hunter came along and cut the horns off... which is also illegal, but still...was not wasting game.
supporter
spacecase
I did notice that the deer was not gutted but also it was dropped off by somebody because where it was at and considering the time of year it has been a long time since the river was up so the deer would have been rotting by this time. There for the deer got dropped off by someone to rot and waisted. Take it what you will, I'm not tring to start a war I was just stating that someone was waistful.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 7 years ago
Where's Wendy when we need her?
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1091) 7 years ago
A few years back, my shiny new Dodge 3/4 ton fell victim to one of MT's Talibambi terrists at ~80 mph.

I was mad, so I did what any self respecting angry roofer would do- I grabbed my shingling hatchet and marched back to the scene of the impact, intent on extracting revenge or a rack if it had any left. I found a plump doe with hardly a mark on her.

I also found that fellow travelers become distraught at the sight of hatchet wielding berserkers at 3:30 am and call the authorities, but that's beside the point.

The point is that maybe, just maybe, there might be someone sitting in their garage crying over spilt antifreeze or surfing eBay for a new chrome grille (that doesn't come with the red and black RAM logo (and that really sucks)), but they've got a really nice rack to mount now.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1683) 7 years ago
Maybe it was Tina Bean's wounded/never found buck ~ guess she still wouldn't know how big it REALLY was...
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6105) 7 years ago
Hey, I can only do so much here.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (12/1/2009)]
supporter
Why didn't you call the authorities when you found the dead deer? It is illegal to waste game, and take racks off dead game. It seems like a more logical thing to do if you are concerned, than to rant on a public forum, which will not get anything accomplished but some spelling and grammar corrections...
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7534) 7 years ago
but some spelling and grammar corrections...

You say this as though these things aren't important...
supporter
I know my spelling and grammar are not perfect... But I know the difference between their, there and they're; to, too, and two; and principle and principal. :l

IMO, if cubby thinks this game animal was shot and wasted, they should have called the authorities instead of placing blame on hunters, when in fact it COULD have died of natural causes, or a car...

Unethical hunting is something that gives all good hunters a bad name, and it is a shame, but there is nothing that can be done except teach others right from wrong.
Posted by David Harasymczuk (+22) 7 years ago
tih said "I agree they do pay to come here and hunt and yes it does help the economy, but I'm sure most of them would still come here and hunt even if they had to pay 10 times more then what they are paying now."

No we will not.

It's already pretty damn high. I know at least 10 guys (Ex pats) that have gone to Idaho or Oregon instead. And I own property in Montana. Some of them do to. Irrelevent, I know. Doubt that you'll see any more money from me or them to hunt.

Now how much money did you make?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3711) 7 years ago
Out of staters already get socked pretty hard. An in-state deer tag costs $16. An out of state one costs $343. I don't see anyone paying $3430 for a deer tag so I have to say you're wrong about the "10 times as much" comment.

I run a block management ranch and I have to say that of the 100 or so hunters I have dealt with in the last month and a half, some of the most ethical and pleasant folks I have talked to are from out of state, and some of the biggest jerks are people who drive out from Miles City and act like they own the place. Of course there are some very good folks that come out from Miles City as well, but the out of staters have a lot more invested (on top of the $343 or more per person they have bought gas to drive an SUV several hundred miles and either brought a lot of camping gear or payed for several nights in a hotel and probably quite a few restaurant meals) and many of them are from more urban areas where hunting is either bad or non-existent and really appreciate the chance to hunt out here.